Thursday, November 8, 2018

Mineral storage of CO2 in basaltic rocks Seminar

See the source image
Picture is taken from: https://www.zmescience.com/science/co2-turned-into-stone/

When I first started my degree in Geology, one question has always remained in my mind for quite a while, what do I actually wanted to do when I first get into Geosciences field?


The biggest question that remained unanswered until today. I have had quiet a love and hate relationship with my degree, like honestly who doesn't right? There is time when I feel like giving this up and doing a completely new thing, trying something different. but the thing is, it is not myself to not finishing things up.So I decided that whatever is going to happen in the future, let it be, first thing first is finishing what I have already started, this degree.


After dwelling myself, observing others, reading the news, papers etc, something just ignites my interest in Carbon Capture. I can say largely it is due to my third year course, Petroleum System, where there is one part in which I have to read papers about the Scotland Carbon Capture and Storage and I find that really interesting and somewhat, what this entire world is really in need, a better environment. And carbon capture remained the biggest contributor for solving this at the moment.

Main Topic
So, I decided to attend the talk from Dr. Sandra from Reykjavik Energy. where she talk about new finding in Iceland where instead of storing the carbon captured or produced from the power plant in sedimentary rocks, they store them in basaltic rocks as Iceland is basically made up of basaltic rocks. hence, they have quite a large storage stocks.

Techniques and Results
To the surprised of everyone, the first process of CO2 injection into the basaltic crust have mineralised about 95% of the CO2 in just two years time when they initially thought the process will take up hundreds or thousands years of times. This has shed the light and new hope in reducing the Carbon content in the atmosphere. In the same time, new questions arise, how much CO2 can be stored by Iceland? I'll leave that for us to together think about this

After their pioneer project in 2012 shows applauding results, in 2014, CarbFix,started their industrial scale project and later joined with ClimbWork in 2017 for better financial condition. As of 2018, CarbFix 2 project is on its way where they planned to use seawater for the injection.

Important
This talk is basically opening a new door possibilities for a better environment. Let's all hope and make effort together to ensure the environment that will be passed down to the next generation is in its best condition.

More info on this can be read;
https://www.zmescience.com/science/co2-turned-into-stone/
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/volcanic-rocks-help-turn-carbon-emissions-stone-%E2%80%94-and-fast

Date : 04/10/2018

Venue: LT 201

Speaker: Dr Sandra Snæbjörnsdóttir from Reykjavik Energy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deciphering the past carbon cycle from calcifiers

Deciphering the past carbon cycle from calcifiers Prof Rosalind Rickaby, Department of Sciences, University of Oxford 7th March 2019 ...